[tahoe-dev] newbie question

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jul 30 18:51:21 UTC 2012

Two Spirit <twospirit6905 at gmail.com> writes:

> The things I didn't like is python didn't feel "enterprise" solution to me
> --
> I would have thought Java or C would have been used. I didn't like
> how tahoe was not really well integrated with the operating system such
> as "mkfs -t tahoe" or POSIX support. I'd much rather just have a NFS style
> mount introducer:/tahoe /mnt/tahoe and run my standard "ls /mnt/tahoe" or
>  "cd /mnt/tahoe; ls" instead of a non-standard "tahoe ls tahoe:".

If it were Java it wouldn't be portable.

I think a complaint about use of python is unfair.  But the 'users are
regularly confronted with backtraces' is a totally valid complaint.

The other issue is about using the VFS interface and fuse.  There are
two camps:

  vfs/fuse is the way filesystems are used.  It has to work and be first
  class. (my opinion)

  vfs/fuse is not adequately expressive for what tahoe does, so it's
  better to make people run commands instead of having fuse integration.
  (my misrepresentation of others, but they do have a point - I think
  the VFS/posix interface probably needs improving)

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>

>> If you make a directory in other than the standard place ($HOME/.tahoe),
>> you'll need to use "-d nodedir".   Note that the syntax is
>>   tahoe maincommand -d $nodedir --other-options
>> rather than the -d being first.
>>
> Now seriously, is this a feature, not a bug?

It's a bug; the -d should be first.

> Website says pubgrid is no longer available due to hackers, but I thought it
> would be worthless to use the public introducer since I wouldn't be able to
> store anything anywhere unless I knew the secret handshakes with the in
> crowd
> (what I gathered from Zooko's email on Freenet vs Tahoe)

I don't follow that.  The pubgrid I thought was back, but didn't  have a
public writable gateway.