Avi and Zooko chat about near-future LAFS features

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Wed Feb 12 13:42:38 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zooko Wilcox-OHearn <zooko at leastauthority.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: report from Weekly Hack Hour, 2014-02-12
To: Avi Freedman <freedman at freedman.net>

- making it easy and bulletproof to install

I don't know if I told you about this, but we got a grant from
"OpenITP" to improve installation! I'll be happy to share the
proposal/spec doc with you if you want.

- ensuring diversity of chunk spreading (maybe done or almost done I think)

Yes, almost done. Feels like it has taken forever and I'm sick of
dealing with it, but at least once it is done it should be a very
well-reviewed, high-quality feature!!

- verification and rebuild of data by proxy for the client without
having to give up the ability to recover to plaintext

I agree this is important, but we don't currently have anyone working on it:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/568

I wonder if we should try a bounty program! #568 doesn't sound *too*
complicated to implement…

- accounting

I agree this is important, and I think it is stuck right now because
Brian Warner isn't actively working on it and we were depending on
him. I think only super-experts like Brian and Daira could do it right
at this point, so it isn't amenable to a bug bounty program.

- multiple introducers

Several people have worked on this, and I think they have working
patches! Maybe we just need unit-testing and review in order to land
it into trunk?

- a few other things I'm forgetting

:-)

Nice hearing from you!