[tahoe-dev] startup error after upgrade

Daira Hopwood (formerly David-Sarah) david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Thu Mar 28 04:56:51 UTC 2013

On 27/03/13 23:18, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> writes:
>> On 3/27/13 10:15 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>>
>>> exceptions.ImportError: cannot import name IFinishableConsumer
>>
>> Can you try this with current trunk (or 1.10a1)? I think this was
>> probably fixed in the latest tahoe code.
>
> Sure -- notes along the way:
>
> * 1.10a1.tar.bz2 has bad permissions; all the files are umask 077, more
>   or less.

Thanks.

> * The build incorrectly reaches into installed eggs.  While the bad-mode
>   version is installed, I went to rebuild and got:
>
>   File "/usr/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/filesystems/tahoe-lafs/work/allmydata-tahoe-1.10a1/setuptools-0.6c16dev4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 1315, in _get
>     stream = open(path, 'rb')
>   IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/site-packages/allmydata_tahoe-1.10a1-py2.7.egg-info/entry_points.txt'
> *** Error code 1
>
>   This is a serious bug because the previously-installed version affects
>   the build.

This is ticket #1258. It's a design flaw in setuptools and/or the
Python import mechanism; the cause is explained at
<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1246#comment:6> and
subsequent comments. Unfortunately it's rather difficult to fix, even
knowing the cause.

> * After installing, the main page of the WUI looks totally different,
>   and overall it seems like a bit of a regresssion.  The table
>   formatting of connected nodes is awkward.

Please comment on ticket #1931 about this.

> * The copyright is claimed to be from
>     Tahoe-LAFS Software Foundation 2013
>   which seems odd on several levels:
>
>   ** some of the code is surely from before 2012

It isn't actually important to have a date at all, if I understand correctly.

The Tahoe-LAFS Software Foundation has held the copyright at least since
13 months ago, I think longer (see ticket #1686).

--
Daira Hopwood ⚥  (formerly David-Sarah)