[tahoe-dev] startup error after upgrade

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Mar 28 00:21:54 UTC 2013

Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> writes:

>> * 1.10a1.tar.bz2 has bad permissions; all the files are umask 077,
>>   more or less.
>
> Oops.. good catch. I've fixed the buildbot and tagged 1.10a2, could you
> double-check that it has fixed permissions?

Fixed (by updating uncommitted pkgsrc, building a binary package,
installing it, and running).

Thank you for (correctly) updating the version; it's very unfriendly to
packaging systems to ever replace named content, even if the old one is
broken.

>> * The build incorrectly reaches into installed eggs. While the
>>   bad-mode version is installed, I went to rebuild and got:
>
> Zooko? Daira/David-Sarah? Any ideas on this one?

I am not really clear on what's going on, but default search paths tend
to lead to installed things.  libtool does gyrations to avoid getting
installed versions of a package's libraries.  Basically, in package foo
with libfoo, the link of program foo has to be against the newly-built
libfoo, not the old installed one, and the "make check" run has to use
it.  I don't really get the subtleties of how this translates to python,
but it feels like that problem.

>> * After installing, the main page of the WUI looks totally different,
>>   and overall it seems like a bit of a regresssion. The table
>>   formatting of connected nodes is awkward.
>
> Yeah, the new page is intentional, but I'd love to hear ways to improve
> it.

The old one had a stylesheet that made the table of connected nodes have
colors for connected/not, and made the table feel like a table that was
easy to read.  This feels like ascii art, and while I'm old-school (1200
baud modem was a big setp up, 4 times as fast and no acoustic
coupler!!), it's over my threshold, which means it will draw complaints