[tahoe-dev] startup error after upgrade

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Mar 27 23:18:22 UTC 2013

Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> writes:

> On 3/27/13 10:15 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> I updated my system to the latest in pkgsrc. Notable is twisted 12.3.0,
>> and I think everything else is the same.
>
>>   File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/site-packages/allmydata/frontends/sftpd.py", line 25, in <module>
>>     from twisted.internet.interfaces import IFinishableConsumer
>> exceptions.ImportError: cannot import name IFinishableConsumer
>
> Can you try this with current trunk (or 1.10a1)? I think this was
> probably fixed in the latest tahoe code.

Sure -- notes along the way:

* 1.10a1.tar.bz2 has bad permissions; all the files are umask 077, more
  or less.  This results in installed files that are 0600 root (e.g.,
  the egg requires.txt).   So something is broken in the distfile
  generation process.  This happened before, in 1.9.  pkgsrc has the
  following workaround code (which was not enabled for 1.9.2):

  .if defined(BAD_DISTFILE_MODES)
  # Distfile has files mode 600, which leads to root-owned 600 files in
  # the binary package.
  post-extract:
          ${ECHO} "Fixing distfile contents to be world readable:"
          chmod -R +r ${WRKSRC}
  .endif

* The build incorrectly reaches into installed eggs.  While the bad-mode
  version is installed, I went to rebuild and got:

  File "/usr/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/filesystems/tahoe-lafs/work/allmydata-tahoe-1.10a1/setuptools-0.6c16dev4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 1315, in _get
    stream = open(path, 'rb')
  IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/site-packages/allmydata_tahoe-1.10a1-py2.7.egg-info/entry_points.txt'
*** Error code 1

  This is a serious bug because the previously-installed version affects
  the build.

* After installing, the main page of the WUI looks totally different,
  and overall it seems like a bit of a regresssion.  The table
  formatting of connected nodes is awkward.

* The copyright is claimed to be from
    Tahoe-LAFS Software Foundation 2013
  which seems odd on several levels:

  ** some of the code is surely from before 2012

  ** The foundation isn't obvious on tahoe-lafs.org.  501(c)3 status?
     Form 990?  Officers?

  ** Some foundation owning copyright is news to me, although I have
     mostly ranted on the list, tested, and done packaging for pkgsrc,
     rather than sending in code.

* The 1.10a1 version works with or without sftp enabled.