[tahoe-dev] Questions about Immutable Uploads

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 04:20:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Mark Berger <mjberger at stanford.edu> wrote:

> What uploads shares to their designated servers? In upload.py there is a mention of bucket writers but I can't seem to find anything else about them.

It's awfully hard to see, from looking at the upload.py code [¹],
where the actual uploading happens. The answer is, it is in
CHKUploader.start() [²], which results in code in encode.py getting
called: [³].

We should improve this for the benefit of the next person who wants to
understand it! Why does the actual uploading happen in encode.py
instead of upload.py? Is there some way to make the control flow more
apparent? Even if we can't change those things, then we should at
least add documentation in upload.py for the next person who is
searching through it looking for "Where does the actual upload
happen?".

Regards,

Zooko

[¹] https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/src/allmydata/immutable/upload.py?annotate=blame&rev=196bd583b6c4959c60d3f73cdcefc9edda6a38ae