[tahoe-dev] Random ports

Anders Genell anders.genell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 09:54:28 UTC 2013

Sorry, that was my intention but I missed replying to all...

13 aug 2013 kl. 00:27 skrev "Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zookog at gmail.com>:

> Very cool! I think you should post this description to tahoe-dev!
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Anders Genell <anders.genell at gmail.com> wrote:

I'll be happy to report here as we go along!

I suppose I will be one of the administrators of our friendnet, and that is one of the reasons for me constantly disturbing the peace here.

We have created a Pidora image with a tahoe-daemon user and allmydata-1.10 preinstalled so that friends can get up and running easily with a RPi and a USB disk (1TB is most common for now). We have included the previously posted uglyhack script that updates the tahoe.cfg file when the external IP of the node changes, so people should not need to run any dyndns services, as long as the introducer has a static IP, which it has.

As for the ports, we have set tub.port and the port sections of tub.location to 8098, which is also the port forwarded through the routers/firewalls of all participating friends. Right now 3 of 8 (yay! another friend in the grid!) nodes report "strange" ports in the WUI welcome page of my node - 64884, 56377 and 53545 respectively. They still show up "green", and they are still possible to reach when just testing with telnet IP 8098, so it does not seem to affect functionality, but I can't figure out what the port number in the WUI represents. Actually, when testing just now one node is reporting a different port than 8098 while it is also unreachable on 8098 (likely due to port forward failure), but it is still "green" in the WUI.

I have written an awk script that parses the WUI welcome page and outputs nickname and connection status of each node. My idea is to use this to keep track of nodes that fall off the grid, and prompt the friend hosting the node to take measures. The RPis tend to overheat when placed in a case and running the first full upload (most friends have more than 30 Gb of files to back up, some as much as 400Gb which takes days if not weeks to complete), and since the users are meant to deploy the node and then more or less forget about it - running backups using Duplicati on their main computer(s) - they might not notice for awhile. So if the connection status is not viable for monitoring the availability of nodes, I need to fix something else (like parsing for the node IPs and scan for port 8098).

Best regards,
/Anders