[tahoe-dev] Choosing a distributed FS?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Apr 12 00:06:00 UTC 2013

Your use case sounds reasonable for tahoe.

The areas where tahoe is awkward is if you want

  a true filesystem, with vfs integration (tahoe has a separate CLI
  program to do manipulations, much like mtools, and vfs mounts are
  decidedly second-class)

  speed

but if you are doing backups and putting backup files onto tahoe, it's
pretty reasonable.

There is some work ongoing to fix the way share placement interacts with
repair.  I'm not quite ready to trust it.

I would tend to install tahoe on the windows systems, so you could run
"tahoe deep-check --add-lease --repair" during the day.
If you don't poke at it there shouldn't be any noticeable slowdown.

  I would have to investigate the file-save semantics of the
  applications we use most (ArchiCAD, Sketchup, MS Word, image-editing),
  but I think they are mostly file-replace options rather than
  file-append operations.

Here I think you'll have a harder time, but it might be ok.   IMHO to
make this sensible tahoe needs per-uid vfs mounts a la FUSE in unix (I
have no clue how this works in windows).