[tahoe-dev] How much size if data fragments are sent to each server

Frederik Braun Frederik.Braun+tahoe at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Oct 9 08:10:43 UTC 2012

Hey Powell,

the amount of shares (needed, happy, total) can be set in your tahoe.cfg.

For this example, let's assume we use N=10, H=7, K=3.

Whenever a file is uploaded, it is encrypted and the cipher text is then
split into 10 shares so that 3 of them suffice for reconstruction, this
means that each share is a third (i.e. 1/K) of the real file. The total
space used on the grid is 10 * (size)/3 (i.e. N * (size)/K) then.
Tahoe tries to upload 10 shares to the grid and will return an error if
less than 7 can be placed.

I hope this answers your question. You might also take a look at the
docs at tahoe-lafs.org

This was just from the top of my head. Correct me if I'm wrong, rest of
the list :)

Cheers,
Frederik