[tahoe-dev] two-phase-commit for Tahoe-LAFS, and Dropbox-like functionality

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 00:40:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com>wrote:

> If you're interested in distributed systems, please read and comment!

I'm interested in distributed systems! :D

> I posted an argument for why distributed, end-to-end, two-phase commit
> will probably work fine for LAFS's purposes even though it has gained
> a well-deserved reputation for "not scaling up to the Internet" in
> other contexts. (Hint: the answer is, of course, that we're demanding
> less of it than most systems do.)

I guess what I'm unclear on, both after reading this email and your notes
on #1755, is what algorithm you want to use for 2PC that you expect to
"scale up to the Internet"

I think a variant of Paxos is the go-to tool for this use case, and it is
most certainly known for scaling only to a small number of nodes.

Something I might propose for this use case: have you considered replacing
the introducer with something like Zookeeper (or at least supporting it as
an alternative), which can provide both a node registry and manage things
like distributed locking for you?

--
Tony Arcieri