[tahoe-dev] switching from introducers to gossip?

Brian warner at lothar.com
Mon Jul 2 03:36:03 UTC 2012

On 7/1/12 7:53 PM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
>     With the #68-GSoC -style "introducer.furls", after the volunteer
>     spins up I3, everybody in the entire grid has to edit their
>     configs to add I3's new FURL.
>
> I don't see why this has to be the case either. What if the
> introducers knew about each other, and the clients could automatically
> learn about and persist knowledge of other introducers they learn
> about via the one they're currently connected to?

I think that's basically equivalent to gossip, or at least to the
"cluster-of-Introducers" approach I mentioned in my message this
afternoon. It becomes easier if clients learn about introducers using
the same protocol as they learn about servers, which would be the
"grid-control" service I described (which could probably use a better
name..).

cheers,
 -Brian