[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS as web server file backend?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Dec 23 01:44:14 UTC 2012

Greg Troxel wrote:
> Alfonso Montero López <amontero at tinet.org> writes:
>
>> Now I'm at another different thing. Thinking in ditributed/clustered
>> web serving, I wonder what would be the best way to use Tahoe-LAFS as
>> the file backend, if possible. I mean, you throw a bunch of webservers
>> at the front, say Apache or nginx and point their webroots to a
>> locally stored tahoe cap and serve/run files and scripts from there
>> (PHP, for instance). Let's leave MySQL for another story :)
> It seems people suggest this from time to time, but I don't understand
> it.  What problem are you trying to solve?  Do you have more bits to
> serve on the web than fit on the web server, and you want to use
> untrusted storage?  Perhaps you could explain your requirements and how
> that leads you to use tahoe as a back end.

Seems to me that it's a way to truly publish web pages to "the cloud" -
making storage completely independent of any specific host. Somewhat
reminiscent of USENET (NNTP actually) in that regard. Publish from
anywhere, read from anywhere - with NNTP, messages are replicated
everwhere, with Tahoe, blocks are replicated across multiple servers and
then reassembled at the reading end.  Not sure what the performance
would be like.