[tahoe-dev] How many servers can fail?

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Wed Oct 26 12:16:18 UTC 2011

I think it would simplify things greatly to further constrain share
placement so that each server gets no more than one share, so that N,
H and K all refer to servers.  I realize that there are some
interesting things that can be achieved by setting N to be a multiple
of the number of servers available, but in practice I don't think they
add enough value to offset the conceptual complexity.

Personally, I would like to eliminate the distinction between N and H.
 I would set them to the same value except that I've discovered that
doing so seems to dramatically reduce write availability even when
more than N=H servers are available.

--
Shawn