[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS v1.7 coming soon!

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zookog at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 10:44:49 PDT 2010

Folks:

It looks like v1.7, which we intend to release on May 13, 2010, will
have at least some of the following improvements:

1. Servers of Happiness (Kevan) #778
2. New Downloader (Brian, David-Sarah) #288, #448, #798, #800, #809,
#990, #993
3. SFTP (David-Sarah) #531, #645, #941
4. Support Different Character Encodings (François) [query for
unicode tickets]
5. usability issues (David-Sarah) [query for davidsarah tickets]
6. packaging issues (Zooko) #668, #803

This will be a solid new release of Tahoe-LAFS -- improved
performance, usability and SFTP support, along with the continuing
tradition of excellent reliability and backward- and forward-
compatibility.

Help needed:

Someone please review #961 !
Someone please take over #953 !

The next release after v1.7 will be v1.8 and will probably come out
in August, after the Google Summer of Code has wrapped up and the
student projects have landed in trunk. That release will include the
new features developed by GSoC students as well as more contributions
from the folks who brought you v1.7.

The theme of the 1.8 release is not yet clear to me. Perhaps it will
be improvements in robustness and scalability of mutable files and
directories. I work with the Cassandra database at my employer,
http://simplegeo.com, and I keep wondering if Tahoe-LAFS could serve
some of the roles that Cassandra serves if Tahoe-LAFS had more
scalable and efficient mutable files and directories.

I wouldn't  be surprised if a few of the features above slip from the
v1.7 release and come out in the v1.8 release instead. We have only a
few short weeks to finish up the v1.8 release and historically it has
always taken around three weeks of testing, documentation, packaging,
and so on to get a release out the door. That means we should start
committing these improvements to trunk as soon as possible! You can
help -- offer code review, manual testing, encouraging words, etc..

As usual you can see the big picture of the planned release and drill
down to all details from The Roadmap:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/roadmap

Regards,

Zooko

[query for unicode tickets]
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?status=!
closed&keywords=~unicode

[query for davidsarah tickets]
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?owner=davidsarah&status=!
closed&milestone=1.7.0

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/288# resumption of
interrupted downloads
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/448# download: speak to
as few servers as possible
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/531# SFTP frontend needs
tests
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/645# connecting to sftp
frontend using sshfs fails from linux client
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/668# easy_install
allmydata-tahoe is broken
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/778# "shares of
happiness" is the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is better
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/798# improve random-
access download to retrieve/decrypt less data
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/800# improve alacrity by
downloading only the part of the Merkle Tree that you need
jjjjjkkk1Gjjjjjkk1Gjjjhttp://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/
803# python ./setup.py install -- can't create or remove files in
install directory
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/809# Measure how segment
size affects upload/download speed.
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/941# SFTP frontend fails
when listing a directory containing a mutable file, because it relies
on node.get_size() to be an integer
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/953# dependency on
pycrypto needs to be tested and supported
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/961# There are no init
scripts included in the Ubuntu apt-get install for tahoe-lafs
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/990# Web gateway should
avoid caching plaintext of downloads
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/993# refactor download
interfaces to treat immutable files and mutable versions more uniformly